What is the Workforce Housing Pilot Program?
The Workforce Housing Pilot Program will subsidize the rents for twenty-two (22) units of workforce housing for community-serving professions such as teachers. Hello Housing is administering the program.
Preference will be given to the following tiers:
- 1st Tier: Teachers employed by the Ravenswood City School District or a nonprofit school (including nonprofit preschools) that is located in the area encompassed by the Ravenswood City School District (which includes the Belle Haven Neighborhood of Menlo Park, areas in the City of East Palo Alto, and North Fair Oaks neighborhood of San Mateo County).
- 2nd Tier: Teachers employed by the Menlo Park City School District, Las Lomitas School District, or Menlo-Atherton High School
- 3rd Tier*: Persons engaged in public safety professions (e.g. police officers, fire fighters, etc.) and employed by the City of Menlo Park or the Menlo Park Fire Protection District; and
- 4th Tier*: Persons employed by public interest non-profit organizations (including nonprofit schools and district schools) located in the cities of Menlo Park or East Palo Alto.
* At this time, only Tier 1 and Tier 2 applicants are invited to submit applications. If all 22 apartments are not filled by 1st and 2nd Tier applicants, 3rd Tier and 4th Tier applicants will be invited to apply.
What are the Program benefits?
Affordable housing is typically defined as a household spending no more than 30% of their income on housing. This pilot program will offer participants the opportunity to live in the brand-new community of 777 Hamilton while paying no more than 30% of their household income on rent. For example:
- If a household is earning $50,000 a year, the monthly rent would be equal to $1,250 per month.
- If a household is earning $100,000 a year, the monthly rent would be equal to $2,500 per month.
- If a household is earning $150,000 a year, the monthly rent would be equal to $3,750 per month. This rent amount would exceed market-rate rents for a 1-bedroom apartment, so the program would not be beneficial at that income.
What are my chances?
It depends! There are 22 apartments available through the program. The following 16 schools, located in the area encompassed by the Ravenswood City School District, generally in the areas of Belle Haven (Menlo Park), the City of East Palo Alto, and North Fair Oaks (San Mateo County), have a reserved unit. If there are no eligible applicants from a particular school, the reservation will be released. Your chances will also be impacted based on how many households apply for the limited number of units and the program subsidy available for the five-year term.
- Aspire East Palo Alto Charter
- Aspire East Palo Alto Phoenix Academy
- Beechwood School
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Brentwood Academy
- Cesar Chavez Elementary
- Costano Elementary
- East Palo Alto Academy
- Eastside College Preparatory School
- Green Oaks Academy
- Los Robles Magnet Academy
- Mid-Peninsula High School
- Ravenswood Child Development Center
- Ronald McNair Academy
- San Francisco 49ers Academy
- Willow Oaks Elementary
Program Overview, Eligibility & Application
Before applying, please review the Program Overview and Eligibility to determine whether this program is a good fit for you and whether your household is likely to qualify.
DOWNLOAD: Program Overview and Eligibility
DOWNLOAD: Rental Assistance Application
DOWNLOAD: Program Flyer
How do I apply?
If you believe your household may be eligible, please have all adults in your household complete and sign a Rental Assistance Application and include legible copies of the supporting documents requested for each adult in the household. Applications will be accepted by mail or by drop-off at one of two open houses at 777 Hamilton scheduled for May 2nd from 4-6PM and May 10th from 4-6PM. Emailed applications will not be accepted and no individual can be included in more than one application. The application deadline is Tuesday, May 16th.
Hello Housing / 777 Hamilton
PO Box 8179
Foster City, CA 94404
What happens if I am selected?
If your household is determined to be eligible and is selected, you will be referred to Alliance, which is the property management company for 777 Hamilton. You will be asked to complete their standard rental application and to meet their rental criteria, with the exception of the income requirements. Please take a moment to review and if you have any questions, please email Alliance and reference the Workforce Housing Pilot Program.