Below Market Rate Homes in Oakland: Application period for phase 2 is closed.
Hello Housing is pleased to be managing the sale of 24 new affordable homeownership opportunities in the City of Oakland.
The application period for the second four Oaktown Roots homes closed on January 4, 2019 at 5PM. The ranking order from the lottery is available here. The results are anonymous, so each household must match their lottery number with their ranking order.
If you speak Spanish (Español) or Chinese (中文) and you need help completing a pre-application, please call (415) 930-4112.
The application period for the first four Oaktown Roots homes closed on September 14, 2018 at 5PM. All eligible applicants were entered into a lottery which was held on September 19, 2018. The ranking order from the lottery is available here. The results are anonymous, so each household must match their lottery number with their ranking order.
Hello Housing is pleased to be managing the sale of these Below Market Rate (BMR) homes on behalf of developer partners. These homes are located throughout Oakland, and sales prices are set to be affordable to moderate-income households (see Program Income Limits table). Each home will have recorded resale restrictions to ensure these homes remain affordable for future generations.
If you are interested in applying for these homes or future BMR opportunities in the Bay Area, click on Stay Connected to subscribe to our E-Newsletter.
The Oaktown Roots Story
These new homes in Oakland are built on properties that were formerly abandoned, tax-defaulted lots. An innovative interagency pilot program led by Hello Housing, the City of Oakland and the Alameda County Tax Collector has resulted in the reclamation of these once-blighted properties for productive re-use as permanently affordable ownership housing. Learn more about the innovative program behind these new homes.
Oaktown Roots Home Sizes and Prices
- Three-bedroom homes for sale starting in the mid-to-high $400s
- Four-bedroom homes for sale starting in the mid $500s
Please note, prices are based on dynamic factors including current interest rates, assessments or property tax rates, and Area Median Income limits, which are subject to change.
Features and Amenities
- Live in one of the most linguistically and culturally diverse cities in the world
- Bustling downtown with proximity to Bay Area job centers
- Commuter and traveler friendly with abundant transportation options and an international airport
- Easy access to beautiful natural resources, including miles of scenic coastline, panoramic views of the Bay, Lake Merritt and Lake Temescal, beautiful regional parks, and hiking trails
- Family-friendly attractions such as Fairyland, the Oakland Zoo, over a dozen world-class museums and performance venues, and 3 professional sports teams (for now!)
- Mild weather and outdoor activities year-round, including farmer’s markets and community festivals
- Home to vibrant food, sports, arts, sustainability, tech, healthcare and nonprofit sectors
- Households must be able to qualify for a 30-year, fixed rate mortgage
- All households must earn below 120% of the Area Median Income
- The minimum household size is three
Preference Point Criteria
Applicants who live or work in Oakland will receive preference points in the application process. However, Oakland residency and employment status are not requirements for eligibility, and all individuals and households may apply.
Applicants can qualify for up to a maximum of two (2) preference points based on the criteria below. All applicants will be grouped based on the total number of preference points the household earns through any combination of preference point criteria. Please note, all preference points will be verified during the application process for those households invited to apply.
Preference Point Criteria:
- 1 Point: At least one adult household member currently Lives in the City of Oakland.
- 1 Point: At least one adult household member currently Works in the City of Oakland.
“Work” is defined as a person who at the time the Application is submitted, is employed solely, on a full-time basis (i.e., 32 or more hours per week), at a business that is physically located within the incorporated area of the City of Oakland. Telecommuting or working from an address located in Oakland for an employer not located in the City as defined above, shall not qualify as employment in the City, unless the employer is providing the workspace in Oakland as part of its corporate/company offices. For persons who are retired at the time of application, the applicant’s work history immediately prior to the date of retirement shall be considered in determining employment in Oakland.
Program Income Limits
(Income limits shown are for 2018 and are updated annually)
|Household Size||Income Limit at 120% AMI|
|1 person||Not Eligible|
|2 people||Not Eligible|
|3 people||Not Eligible|
The Application Process
Buying a home, especially in the Bay Area, is an emotional journey. And because of the scarcity of affordable homes for sale, the competition to buy an affordable home in today’s market can be tremendous. Our goal is to create a qualification process that meets the City of Oakland’s requirements AND is respectful of your time. With this in mind, we have broken the application process down into a few key steps.
What to Expect
Hello Housing, Presidio Realty Advisors, LLC, Silvermark Construction Services, Construction Resource Center and the City of Oakland do not discriminate against any persons on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, source of income, genetic information, medical condition, physical disability or mental disability, or any other category protected by law.