Loan Underwriting and Closing Specialist Position
Founded in 2005, Hello Housing is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization committed to making lasting social change. We use our diverse backgrounds, skills and networks to solve tough social problems. As of March 2016, Hello Housing joined forces with MidPen Housing in order to expand its impact and reach in the greater Bay Area. Hello Housing is one of four affiliated corporations which include MidPen Housing, MidPen Property Management Corporation, and MidPen Resident Services Corporation.
Our collective goal is to provide safe, affordable housing of high quality to those in need; to establish stability and opportunity in the lives of residents; and to foster diverse communities that allow people from all ethnic, social and economic backgrounds to live in dignity, harmony and mutual respect.
Hello Stewardship provides a wide range of services for local government through the professional management of Below Market Rate (BMR) homeownership, rental programs and down payment assistance programs. Hello Stewardship also provides direct services to market-rate developers to ensure fair marketing and sale of affordable homes developed as a result of inclusionary housing policy. BMR homeownership services include program (re)design and refinement, annual compliance monitoring, marketing and education for aspiring homeowners, calculation of affordable sales prices and rents, assessing homebuyers for eligibility, approving & processing refinances and nurturing a pool of qualified lenders and title companies. BMR rental services include annual compliance monitoring, assessing tenants for eligibility, identifying qualified tenants as units turnover, and coordination with property managers for rental developments produced as a result of inclusionary housing policy.
Hello Stewardship currently administers AC Boost, a $50 million Down Payment Assistance Loan Program, also known as AC Boost, funded by Alameda County’s voter-approved Measure A1. AC Boost is designed to assist low and moderate-income households to buy a home in Alameda County. AC Boost gives a “boost” to eligible households who would not otherwise be able to afford home prices in Alameda County. A central tenet of Hello Housing’s values and AC Boost’s goals is to narrow the racial wealth gap, given the disparity in homeownership rates between white households and households of color. Coupled with the fact that buying a home has historically been the most significant step a family can take to build wealth, AC Boost strives to create more equitable access to wealth-building opportunities through homeownership. We are in search of an experienced Loan Underwriting and Closing Specialist who will be dedicated to managing a pipeline of residential loan closings for the AC Boost program. Under the supervision of the Sr. Program Manager, the Loan Underwriting and Closing Specialist will be responsible for facilitating the close of 60+ down payment assistance loans annually for middle income borrowers in Alameda County. The Loan Underwriting and Closing Specialist may also provide underwriting and closing support for other Hello Stewardship homeownership programs as needed.
Your day to day:
- Review 1st mortgage loan and real estate transaction documents to ensure terms meet Program Guidelines;
- Complete final underwriting of homebuyers’ income and asset eligibility;
- Review property details to determine compliance with Program Guidelines;
- Coordinate document collection from external parties, including title companies and loan officers;
- Generate loan disclosures and program documents;
- Track and verify insurance compliance on each transaction;
- Manage loan closing pipeline and coordinate funding with County partners;
- Support first-time homebuyer participants throughout the closing process;
- Provide oversight of post-closing process, including records management of program documents;
- Fall in love with HomeKeeper, a Salesforce platform used as a workflow and data management tool;
- Track billable activities as provided for in contracts with Counties and Cities;
- Work with Sr. Program Manager and Program Director to improve processes and program design as needed; •
- Support Program Managers in Inclusionary Sales campaigns (selling brand new affordable homes on behalf of market-rate developers); and
- Represent Hello Housing at housing-related events and trainings.
At Hello Housing, we seek those with good hearts and great minds – those who share our dream of providing affordable housing to all. We are guided by five core values that shape our interactions with our partners, residents, and each other:
Integrity: We provide accurate, timely information, manage our company resources responsibly, and conduct all aspects of our business honestly and fairly.
Collaboration: We work as a team that seeks out and honors diverse opinions, ideas, and skill sets in order to achieve common goals. We understand that individual success is linked with our collective success.
Accountability: We follow through on the commitments we make to one another, our partners, our residents and our communities. We deliver specific, defined results and take responsibility for the consequences of our actions or inactions.
Respect: We treat our employees, residents, vendors, partners, investors, and the community in which we work with dignity. We welcome social and intellectual diversity and we recognize and value the unique contributions made by our diverse stakeholders.
Excellence: We set and strive to meet a high standard for quality, professionalism and competence. We create a work environment that inspires extraordinary work, recognizes results, and gives everyone a chance to make a difference and share in the organization’s success.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hello Housing provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hello Housing complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Hello Housing expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
What you bring:
- Highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to track, prioritize and execute on multiple complex transactions to meet deadlines.
- Work experience in residential mortgage lending or escrow related field required.
- Three years’ experience in a professional work environment required.
- Demonstrated professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Competency in performing basic calculations related to loan eligibility criteria.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
- Demonstrated computer skills, proficient in using CRM software (Salesforce), Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.), and other needed software.
- Ability to satisfactorily pass a background screening and fingerprinting clearance.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Hello Housing.
- To be fully considered, please include a cover letter when you upload your resume.
Life at Hello Housing:
When you join Hello Housing, you join a team of passionate, committed individuals. Whether you work at our corporate office or onsite at one of our communities, Hello Housing employees help transform lives from day one while enjoying the following full time benefits and perks:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Competitive vacation and sick time accrual, and personal holiday hours
- Long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance and AD&D
- Great work-life balance, including a wellness program
- In-house trainings and external classes supporting professional development
- Company outings and team-building activities
- Financial counseling and generous discretionary retirement contributions
- Temporarily Remote
- 1970 Broadway Suite 100, Oakland
- Just above 19th Street BART
This is a non-exempt, full-time position. Interested in applying? Please complete our online application and upload your resume & cover letter.